What is new in Google Search Console vs Webmaster tool?
Woohoo! Big news in the town! Taking into consideration all the users, Google has released Search Console! Earlier, it was known as Google webmaster tool with different user experience. The function of search console is almost similar that we had with Google search console but user experience is much friendly.
However many webmaster still believe that old webmaster tool was much better than what Google has introduced. Earlier some features was controlling from Google webmaster but with span of time of Google took all functionality at new version. Now one can fix any of your pending issues by surfacing the most actionable insights and creating an interaction model. URL Inspection Tool, migrating key reports, link reports, performance reports are some of the newly added features into the list of new search console. We are going to discuss these all along with other features in today’s article.
In order to simplify internal collaboration, you can even share reports within your own organization. We understand you all might not have had the time to check this new update from Google but sit back and relax;
We are here to let you know about Google Search Console vs Webmaster Tools and reasons why Google developed new search console.
- Understanding Index Coverage: Google’s indexing
- Search Performance: with 16 months of data!
- Improve your Search Enhancements such as AMP and Job Postings pages
- Improved Filtering
1. ) Understanding Index Coverage:
Google’s indexing: It lets you know about all the issues such as the reasons why Google isn’t indexing some URLs, warnings about potential issues and shows correctly indexed URLs. Not only this but also the newly updated index coverage report tracks the functionality and alerts you whenever there are new issues raised there and helps you monitor their fix.
As we know, its functionality is to insight into the indexing of URLs from your website. But the obvious question that must be dragging you is how? What’s the procedure involved in this? Let’s dig deeper:
- In case of any issue, you got to know; first you will get to see a sample of URLs from your site. Whenever you will click on these error links, all the page details will open up with links to diagnostic tools. Hence, you will get the source of the actual problem.
- Facing search issues? Well, it’s a big no providing access to everybody. Obviously, you will reach up to the multiple teams within a company and will give them up to information about the current status, or about issues that have come up there. But don’t worry; the new search console consists of sharing buttons on the top of the report through which you can share your shareable link to the people you trust. Also, you can disable sharing just as easily whenever you want! Simple, isn’t it?
- In addition to it, the new search console confirms you that yes; your issue has been resolved and helps you to update your index accordingly. To achieve this, you just have to simply select a flagged issue, and click validate fix. As soon as you do it, Google will crawl and then will with a higher priority, reprocess the affected URLs. Thus, this procedure will help your site to get back on track faster than ever.
- It is noteworthy to know that the new updated search console works best for sites that submit sitemap files. It is a very effective method to know about new and updated URLs. To make you able to focus on an exact list of URLs, you can use the sitemap filter over the Index Coverage data once you’ve submitted a sitemap file.
2.) Search Performance: with 16 months of data!
We have observed users keep asking for more data in Search Analytics. If you are also one of them, then surely you are going to love the new Search Performance report. With this new report, you can analyze longer-term trends and can do year-over-year comparisons as you will have 16 months of data. Also, the data will be stored in the Search Console API for future considerations.
3.) Improve your Search Enhancements such as AMP and Job Postings pages
AMP and Job Postings are some of the Search Enhancements that is included in the new search engine console. The reports are responsible to take into the account Google identified specific errors and warnings. Also, it offers other features as well such as:
- Once you click the validate fix button, several instantaneous tests start running for providing faster feedback in the process of fixing an issue. You will get an immediate notification, in case your pages don’t pass this test.
- The second feature includes aims at expanding the validation log with a list of fixed URLs providing positive feedback during the fixing process.
Also, there is a feature added in the new updated search console is Job postings report. If you have job postings there and on your website, then you can show up these job listings on Google for Jobs. You are able to do so but remember, it is available to only certain regions.
4.) Improved Filtering:
The new search console version includes the filtering feature that would help you to keep an eye on the data in which you are interested. There is a button of Filter Rows icon in the top right of the report table on which you can click to manipulate the data by applying rules (equals/not equals and greater than/smaller than). You can also filter SERP metrics for some queries. Let us understand it with the help of an example: suppose you want to check the report monthly. For this, the filtration method will pick the past history of 28 days and will compare with it.
So, these were some of the reasons why Google developed new search console. What do you feel about it? It doesn’t mean that you must have to follow this new functionality. You can switch in between the old and new products easily. If you have got any point that we missed out notifying, please feel free to comment in the comment section below. Let us know your ideas, suggestion, doubts so that we could research even better!